Sanitation In Cooking

2 Reasons To Have Your Home Professionally Inspected For Mold After A Pipe Bursts

When a pipe bursts in one of the walls of your home, your first priority is probably to get the pipe fixed and clean up the water as quickly as possible. After the initial cleanup, you may think about mold, but since you cannot see any growth, you may believe that you cleaned up the water in time to prevent it. 

However, to be on the safe side, you should have a professional come to your home within a few days after the incident to have them test for mold. There are a couple of reasons why you should have your home professionally inspected for mold after it has sustained water damage from a burst pipe.

1. Mold Will Start to Grow and Spread Quickly If Not Found and Eradicated as Soon as Possible

One major reason why you need to have your home inspected by a professional as soon as possible after a pipe bursts in your home's walls is that mold will start to grow quickly. Especially if the conditions are right, it could be just a matter of hours before the spores sprout and start to grow.

Once mold starts growing, it will spread quickly not only in the area where it began but also through the entire house as it releases its spores into the air. If not found and eradicated as soon as possible, your home could suffer from a widespread mold problem.

2. Water from the Burst Pipe May Have Spread to Unseen Areas Where Hidden Mold Will Grow

Another reason why a professional should be hired to inspect your home for mold is that there is most likely mold growth that you do not see. Although you may not see signs of mold growth around the area of the burst pipe, this does not mean that it does not exist in your house.

Even if you believe you contained the water damage, water can flow deep into the darkest areas of the home's inner walls where you cannot reach. A professional will have access to testing equipment that can detect and pinpoint the area of mold growth so that it can be dealt with.

After a pipe bursts inside a wall in your home, hidden mold can start to grow and spread quickly to other areas, releasing spores into the air that can cause illness or make respiratory symptoms worse in family members who already have allergies and asthma issues. The first step to getting rid of this hidden growth is to have a professional locate it.

Contact a company that offers mold inspection services in your area for more information.